While we might enjoy watching the night sky light up above our BBQs and pool parties, dogs and fireworks don’t quite have the same relationship. Unfortunately, we see an increase in missing dogs of 30-60% between July 4th and 6th.
Fireworks play a big role in that statistic. Fireworks are LOUD!
Many fireworks can reach sound levels up to 150 decibels.
For reference, most human conversation is around 60 decibels, rock concerts are around 115 decibels, and military jets taking off is around 130 decibels.
That’s right -- fireworks are louder than military jets.
So it’s no wonder your dog, who isn’t expecting the fireworks, gets super freaked out. Not only are they loud, but they’re also unpredictable and are interpreted as a threat (which is why some dogs run away).
But this doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the 4th of July, or any other event with fireworks, with your puppy pal by your side. There are things you can do to keep your dog safe, happy, and calm during fireworks.
3 “lesser-known” foods that are toxic for dogs!
If you’re a dog owner then you need to take extra care to make sure that your home is safe for your dog.
A lot of different things can go awry for your dog if you’re not careful, but one of the scariest things is when your dog unknowingly ingests food that’s toxic for it.
It’s already well known that chocolate can be poisonous for your dog, but there are many other types of food and drinks we take for granted but that your dog should avoid at all costs.
So make sure that these following foods are out of your dog’s reach AT ALL TIMES:
Sugar-free candies are very dangerous for your dog as it contains the sugar substitute known as Xylitol.
Xylitol can cause your dog’s insulin level to skyrocket and shut down its liver.
How poisonous is it?
Even 3 grams of Xylitol can be lethal for a 65-pounds dog
Grapes and Raisins:
Grapes and raisins (which are essentially concentrated grapes) are particularly dangerous for your dog to consume as they can cause kidney failure in your dog.
What’s worse is that there is no antidote to this.
The best course of action in such cases would be to bring your dog to the vet as soon as you suspect that it consumed grapes/raisins.
It’ll most likely be hospitalized on intravenous fluids for 24 to 48 hours following ingestion. Or be hospitalized for 2-7 days if the case is more severe.
So keep grapes and raisins out of reach of your dog.
Alcoholic drinks are very dangerous for your dog to consume.
Alcohol poisoning can cause your dog vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, tremors, coma, and even death.
What’s worse is that your dog can even get alcohol poisoning when alcohol gets absorbed through your dog’s skin.
So make sure that you clean up any alcohol spills as soon as possible when your dog is around.
And clean your dog up if you or any of your family members accidentally spill alcohol on your dog.